The best jobs in AI, or Artificial Intelligence, offer plenty of opportunities to explore different career paths and impact society. The study of artificial intelligence (AI) is one of the most exciting and rapidly growing fields in computer science.
For example, artificial intelligence is used to help doctors diagnose illnesses, create new materials for manufacturing, and even predict stock market trends. So, students might wonder what they can do with an AI degree.
What is AI or Artificial Intelligence?
Before we dive into the different career options available to those with an AI degree, let’s first look at what AI is. Artificial intelligence is the study of how to create intelligent machines. This involves creating algorithms or rules that can be used to make decisions.
Artificial intelligence aims to create systems that can think for themselves. This can be done in various ways, depending on the task. For example, if someone wants to create a machine that can learn, they use a neural network. On the other hand, if an AI expert intends to create a machine that can solve problems, they would use a rule-based system. The possibilities are endless when it comes to artificial intelligence. With the proper training, students can use an AI degree to change the world.
What Industries Use Artificial Intelligence?
AI professionals work across sectors. Those who have earned an AI associate degree will find a rewarding career in one of the sectors below.
|Sector or Industry||How they use AI|
|Banking and Finance||predict stock market trends|
|Healthcare||help doctors diagnose illnesses|
|Manufacturing||create new materials for manufacturing|
|Energy and Utilities||reduce carbon emissions, reduce downtime|
|Transportation||autonomous cars, map routes, driving directions, help prevent emergencies|
|Advertising||AI-powered targeted advertising|
|Entertainment||pre-editing using facial recognition|
|Sports||identify strategies for winning|
|Computer Science||continued the development of AI and ML|
What Types of Jobs do People With an AI Degree Get?
Many different career options are available to those with a degree in artificial intelligence. For example, graduates can become data analysts, programmers, software engineers, or project managers. Each of these careers offers its own unique set of challenges and rewards.
There are a variety of different jobs that students can pursue with an AI degree. Here is a breakdown of some of the most common ones:
Associates Degree in AI
An associate degree is the most basic degree in AI. It covers the basics of computer science and teaches learners how to create algorithms that can make decisions. With this degree, students may become:
- Data analyst: Data analysts use artificial intelligence to analyze data and make predictions. They often work in fields such as marketing or finance.
- Programmer: Programmers create the code that makes software applications run. They often work in teams with other programmers and engineers.
- Software engineer: Software engineers design, develop, and test software applications. They often work in teams with other engineers and programmers.
- Project manager: Project managers are responsible for planning, organizing, and directing the work of a team of employees. They often work in fields such as information technology or engineering.
Bachelor’s Degree in AI
This degree builds on the basics covered in an associate’s degree. In addition to learning how to create algorithms, graduates also learn about artificial intelligence applications and systems.
Master’s Degree in AI
This degree is for those who want to pursue an advanced career in artificial intelligence. It covers advanced topics in artificial intelligence, such as machine learning and natural language processing. With this degree, graduates often become:
- A data scientist: Data scientists use artificial intelligence to analyze data and make predictions. They often work in fields such as marketing or finance.
- Machine learning engineer: Machine learning engineers use artificial intelligence to create systems that can learn independently. They often work in fields such as information technology or banking.
- A research scientist: Research scientists research new applications of artificial intelligence. They often work in universities or private companies.
Ph.D. in AI
This degree is for those who want to pursue a career in academic research or teaching. It covers the most advanced topics in artificial intelligence, such as machine learning and natural language processing.
There are many different jobs that students can pursue with an AI degree. The best part is that the demand for AI experts is growing, so they will probably find a job that pays well and offers upward mobility.
Artificial Intelligence Project Manager
An AI Project Manager plans to organize and directs the work of a team of employees working on an AI project.
Salary Range: $85,000 to $95,000
With a background in basic machine learning and AI programmer is fluent in programming skills such as Python, R, or other languages.
Salary Range: $30,000 to $195,000
An AI Engineer works with business partners to solve AI business problems. They translate business analytic problems into cognitive computing technologies.
Salary Range: $90,000 to $226,000
How Much Can You Make With an AI Degree?
As with any career, the pay for jobs in AI varies depending on various factors. However, on average, employment in this field pays pretty well. In fact, according to payscale.com, the median salary for an AI engineer is $129,378.
Some of the highest-paying jobs in AI are:
- Data Scientist: $111,943
- Software Engineer: $93,172
- Lead Data Scientist: $148,856
- Senior Data Scientist: $130,127
- Senior Software Engineer: $129,378
- Machine Learning Engineer: $120,000
- Chief Data Scientist: $204,926
This is a good salary, especially considering the growing demand for AI experts. With an AI degree, students can find a well-paying jobs with room for growth.
What Is the Job Outlook With an A.I. Degree?
As technology evolves, the use of the valuable insights generated by GIS software and its professionals will continue to grow, expanding across sectors and job types. Job outlook expectations noted by the BLS for GIS professionals include
- Cartographers and Photogrammetrists – anticipated job growth through 2030 of 5%.
- Environmental Specialists/Scientists – anticipated job growth through 2030 of 8%.
- Urban or Regional Planners – anticipated job growth through 2030 of 7%.
- Geographers – anticipated job growth through 2030 of 1%.
- Surveyors – anticipated job growth through 2030 of 2%.
Advancing Your Career in AI
Additional education will lead you to AI jobs with increased responsibility, higher potential income, and more comprehensive compensation packages like most professional careers. So, to qualify for the most in-demand jobs, you need a bachelor’s or master’s degree.
Earning an AI associate degree is an excellent way to begin a career in this field. Once you have earned an associate degree, you can enroll in a bachelor’s degree in AI program. Many of these degrees allow you to use the credits you have already earned. With this advanced standing, most students take an additional two years to complete a bachelor’s degree.
Your Career in AI
When you decide to earn one of the Top Online AI Degrees, there are many great options. The most in-demand design jobs are